Thursday, May 24, 2007

Home again, home again

You know how when you go visit somewhere you often leave happy to be going home? Not beacause there is anything wrong with the place you were, but because you just want to sleep in your own bed? That's how I felt yesterday. I spent the last 5 days at Ginger's house. Ginger of Delusional at Best.blogspot.com that is. She's one of my bestest friends, and we had a blast. I feel like this at the end of almost every trip, vacation, whatever. I like my place, I like to spend time here. I have set it up pretty much how I want it. The only real changes I would make include not having to deal with my stepfather.
While I was at Gingers place I read a book called "Prep". It was about a girl in boarding school. It reminded me that high school is universally awful. That I am not unique in my hatred of that time. I've developed a theory that it has to do with brain developement. Brain vs Mind if you will. It's when you start to look at the world and see how you are different from it. Or at least how different you feel. It's funny that we all think that OUR experience was unique, was somehow ... deserving of notice by the world. And then you read a book like "Prep" and even though you didn't go to boarding school you recognize yourself in the main character. You think that some one understands, that they "got" it. And we never think that, having read that book, we are not all that unique.
To go with that theory is this one, high school never ends. Life is just a continuation of all the cliques, drama, and game playing that happened in high school. The popular girl has a different title now, and the principal is called "the boss" or the ceo. But the social break down of the office is damn near identical to high school. I don't know anyone who REALLY enjoyed high school. I mean in their heart of hearts, that part of themselves they don't tell anyone about. I think it was awkward and uncomfortable for all of us. And those who say it was the best time of their lives are either lieing (to themselves and everyone else) or their lives currently suck. And to think how baddly my life would have to suck for high school to be the highlight kinda terrifies me.


--Little Bird is in the nest

No comments: