Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Nothing Important

Snow, snow, and more snow! I had no idea I was coming home to this much snow! And we got more of it! At this exact moment it appears to be blowing around rather than falling from the sky but still...
And the cold! Damn it's cold out there! And yesterday while making a grocery run I broke my earmuffs.
I don't have all that much to report. I survived the birthday week from hell. My train was late getting in. I slept until about noon on Monday. My sleep schedule is STILL out of whack. I HAD plans for this evening, but the person I had those plans with is sick, so, raincheck. Seeing how I really want to avoid going outside if I can, this isn't all that bad.
If you're planning a FANCY cocktail party, this might be a crowd pleaser. Or it might just impress the hell out of your guests.

Fresh Corn Madelines with Sour Cream and Caviar
makes about 36 hors d'oeurves
For Madelines
1 Tsp unsalted butter, plus more for brushing pan
1/3 cup yellow corn meal -- not coarse
2 Tsp all purpose flour
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 large egg
1/3 cup well shaken buttermilk
1/2 cup corn (from one ear) chopped

For Topping
1/3 cup sour cream
50g caviar (preferably north american sturgeon)

Garnish
chopped chives

Notes: You will need a madeline pan with 20 mini (1/2 Tsp) molds for this one. You may also want a small pastry bag with a star or leaf tip. Also VERY IMPORTANT do not use a metal spoon or utensil with the caviar, it will cause the caviar to go rancid almost immediately. Use horn, mother of pearl (not as pricey as it sounds --$6 maybe), or ceramic.

To Make Madelines
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Brush molds with melted butter.
Whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and pepper in a bowl.
Whisk together egg, buttermilk, 1 Tsp melted butter, and corn.
Blend the two mixtures together.
Spoon 1 tsp batter into each mold and bake in middle of oven until madeline are golden around the edges and spring back when pressed lightly. 5-6 minutes
Turn madelines out and make more in the same manner until out of batter.

Top Madelines
Put sour cream in pastry bag (if using) and pipe (or spoon) about 1/2 tsp onto each madeline. Top with a rounded 1/4 tsp caviar. Sprinkle with chopped chives.


I'm gonna go take a nap now.

-Little Bird is a bit discombobulated still

No comments: