Thursday, November 27, 2008

Turkey Day!

Hello everybody! I am a wee bit drunk right now! This forces me to use exclamation marks! For every sentence!

I cooked two thanksgiving dinners today. Two ENTIRE dinners. Turkeys, mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes, green beans, and stuffing. I did not bake pies because I made two freaking thanksgiving meals. AND I burned myself!! I am sore. I am tired. I will sleep like a rock tonight.
The first of the dinners was for the maintenance staff of my building. One of the guys who work here hired me to cook today. He bought all the ingredients. He did not have to work today, so he did not get any of the food that he laid out nearly $200 for. The crew today was only about 5 or so, so there was more than enough food. Out of all this work I got a frydaddy. Yes folks, I got my frydaddy. Deep fried green beans to come later. Duck fat french fries. Squash tempura. You get the idea.
I promised some people that I would post a veggie recipe and so I will. I was told I'd get extra credit for one that had no dairy, but... there is only so much I can do. You either get meat, or dairy. Occasionally you'll get both.

Mashed Sweet Potatoes

5 sweet potatoes
1 small sized container of sour cream 1/2 pint or so.
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 stick butter

Wrap potatoes in foil. Bake at 350 until the potatoes are soft when pierced with a fork, about 1/2 an hour.
Peel potatoes. In a bowl, mix potatoes with sour cream and heavy cream. Mash until smooth.
Spread mashed potatoes in a baking dish. Place pats of butter on the surface. Bake again for about 1/2 an hour.
Remove from oven and stir, blending the butter in.

I would like to point out that today, I did this with 10 lbs of potatoes.

-- Little Bird is stuffed

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you ever tried mashed potatoes made with blue spuds? People either love them or are too chicken to try them. Give it a whirl.

Anonymous said...

She forgot to mention the pecans you're supposed to line the top of the mashed sweet potatoes with before you put them in the oven for the final baking. She doesn't like pecans so she leaves those off, much to my dismay. They were good without them of course. Plenty of leftovers!

Anonymous said...

I like pecans! Just not in my potatoes. The pecans just make it too much like a sweet to me. I prefer these potatoes as a savory dish.
I'll have to try the blue spuds. I may have had them once before, in Colorado. Do they end up looking very purple? 'Cause what I had looked VERY purple.

--Little Bird

Anonymous said...

My mashed spuds wound up a sky blue. That may have had something to do with the baking powder and milk.

Anonymous said...

a sweet potato is technically a starch, not a vegetable

all though, it is high in good carbs, fiber, and vitamins so it has potential to be just as helathy as a vegtable; but is often served with fatty butters and creams and high caloric sugars so is thus unhealthy